Monday, September 10, 2012

Grey Hair.

Wheee, so I finally exiled the blonde from my hair. It was a short lived, cutesy thing, but blonde really just isn't my colour.

To explain this simply, I used the exact same products I used to get it blonde, to make it grey, just in different ratios. The mixture I concocted was as follows:

15mL of Wella Color Charm Additive 050 Cooling Violet
15mL of Wella Color Charm Liquid Toner T14 Pale Ash Blonde
60mL of 20 vol. developer. (I used Ice Cream, a European brand, but it doesn't matter what brand you use.)

The amounts you use will vary for how much hair you have, this mixture makes a rather small batch, because for hair my length, I don't have much (it's all been shaved or broken off). The main point is 1 part 050, 1 part T14, and 4 parts developer.

You can use any level of developer, the darker your hair, the higher the developer you should use, but my hair is really fried, so even though I favour 30 and 40, I went with 20 this time. (Also I'm out of 30).

I bleached my hair prior, but I only did the dark bits (where my hair was stained green, and I'm "gently" trying to remove it) and my roots, if your hair is platinum or near-white, it'll work, but if your hair is coppery, ginger, red, orange, or brown in any way, THIS WILL NOT WORK. Your hair must be near white or platinum blonde.

I left it on for 45 minutes, no heat, then washed with shampoo and conditioner.

All products can easily be purchased at Sally Beauty Supply.

4 comments:

  1. Can I use the T18 lightest ash blonde one week before using the 050 cooling violet? or does it have to be all together?

    btw really nice post, I've been looking for a simple explanation of the process and you are very clear with everything, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the way that the cooling violet works, it needs to be mixed with a color or else it won't stick, it's an additive not a separate colour :)
      I'm glad this was helpful for you!

      Delete
    2. No, the way that the cooling violet works, it needs to be mixed with a color or else it won't stick, it's an additive not a separate colour :)
      I'm glad this was helpful for you!

      Delete
  2. Hey! Love ur blog! I usually bleach my hair then put t18 but I find it leaves alot of the older bleach a darker color and I have still a lot of yellowy spots. I want a color like cara loren? Do you think adding the additive will work with t18 to get that bright grey blonde effect?

    ReplyDelete